Thursday, August 23, 2007

Summer Reading Update/Book Reviews

Back in June I posted my Summer Reading List. Below is an update/quick review of what I've read so far. How are you doing on your Summer Reading Challenge? If you are participating - let me know, I'd love to see your list!
Split Ends by Kristen Billerbeck - Finished this book. Overall, I enjoyed this book. It was a fluffy summer read, chick lit. I did not enjoy it as much as Kristen's other books. I can't put my finger on why though. I liked the characters, I liked the story. I guess it just felt a little too much like a "fairy tale". The main character leaves her small country town to cut hair in LA/Hollywood. She has a cousin who got her a job and is letting her live with him. The main character is thin and pretty. And yes, the character ventured out and took a chance, but she had lots of crutches there to help her that a normal person wouldn't have if they were to try something that daring. If I wanted to do something like that, I wouldn't have a cousin to pave the way for me and my thin, gorgeous, size 4 body to fit into my cousin's designer clothes and help me be a part of the LA scene.
Read it? YES
Buy it vs. Check it out from Library: Library
Uncharted by Angela Hunt - almost done - review to come soon!
The Elevator by Angela Hunt - Won this book - Woo Hoo!
The Secret Life of Becky Miller by Sharon Hinck
Diva Nashvegas by Rachel Hauck - The follow up to Lost In NashVegas, this book is about a character from the 1st book. You don't need to have read Lost In NashVegas to understand/appreciate this one. I really liked this book, maybe even more then the 1st one. The characters were interesting and the story believable. At first I did have some problems with the ethics of the main character, given this is "Christian fiction" but within contex - it fit - and I was able to see how it worked in the big scope of the plot. Very entertaining, a good summer read.
Read it? YES
Buy or Check It Out: Check it out if they have it, if not, buy! (or be checking back here in the next few months for a PASS IT ON giveaway!)
Par for the Course by Ray Blackston
Quaker Summer by Lisa Samson - Wow! This book changed me. I believe God puts people/things in our lives in His quest to mold us into who we should be. Lisa Samson's books are something He is using to open my eyes to His purpose and the path to getting there. I both appreciate and resent it. I resent it because ignorence is bliss - what I don't know, I don't realize is hurting me. Lisa has a way of making me looking at my Christian walk and then re-evaluating and questioning the path I've choosen to get there. Anyways, the story is a good one, her writing style is easy to read, and you'll be thinking about this book long after you put it down!
Read it? YES!
Buy or Check It Out? BUY! You'll want to read it more then once, or PASS IT ON to a friend!
Sisterchicks in Gondolas by Robin Jones Gunn
Death of a Garage Sale Newbie by Sharon Dunn - This is the first book I read by Sharon Dunn and I really enjoyed it. The characters were fun and the pace of the book was perfect. I didn't want to put it down, just wanted to keep reading to find out the who-done-it!
Read it? YES
Buy or Check It Out? Library if they have it, if not buy it!
Hope Rising by Kim Meeder - Next on my list - just got from the library
Beyond the Shawdows by Robin Lee Hatcher - just got book on CD from library - will be listening to it as I drive around town
Skin by Ted Dekker
Takes the Cake by Linda Evans Shepherd
Yada Yada Prayer Group Gets Caught by Neta Jackson

1 comment:

CeeCee said...

You have some really good reads on your list. I've ready many of them. I didn't like Split Ends as much either. (Wish I knew about this challenge or if I did, wish I didn't forget to join.)