Friday, November 09, 2007

Big Step . . . .

My darling daughter (10 yr. old) got invited to go to the beach with a friend for 2 nights. I have never allowed her to go out of town with anyone not related before. My eldest (boy) does often, but I know his friend's parents very well from church. This girl is a friend from school (public school). She's known her for a few years. I've met the mother on several occasions and talked to her about various things. I've been in her house. I like her, and trust her, what I know of her, but I don't really know her well. My daughter has spent the night at her house several times, her at mine. I'm nervous. But, we did tell daughter she could go. We reviewed sleepover rules: don't be alone in a room with a male, don't watch shows/movies you know you shouldn't watch, be polite, behave, use good language (my version of what is good is very strict compared to what many at her school use - no "OMG" - no "stupid", "fart", "butt", you get the picture. If it had been anyone else at her school I would have said no, but I feel OK about this family.
I'll be praying without ceasing this weekend.

Now, on to eldest. he is 12, in 7th grade, and acts exactly as such. The other day my Mom babysat while I went to a PTA meeting. When I got home she asked where the old version of eldest went. She said she missed old version. I replied, "so do I"! He never has a kind word for his siblings, he argues with me whenever I try to talk to him - he is driving me crazy. He is a very smart boy - I think he must be at that stage where he feels he's smarter than his parents.
Joy, joy!

This past week was probably the worst of my year so far. Lots of things just went wrong and took me away from things I needed to be doing. One thing seems to be going right, something I hope to tell you all about soon . . . . . .

Have a great weekend! We have a HUGE football game tomorrow - rivals playing each other. We have about 30 people tailgating together - it should be a great time. Hope we win!

3 comments:

Bronie said...

It's so hard for our kids to be out of our sight, isn't it? It sounds as if you've thoroughly prepped dd for her weekend. Try to relax and trust that God is watching over her while you're not there.

About eldest, I have a 12 year old as well. I think this age must be hard on them because I am seeing some new attitudes, etc. as well.

If you need a giggle, check out my take on the 12 year old on our blog.

Good luck at the game! :)

Shawna said...

The things I have to look forward to:). I hope next week is better for you. Sending prayers.

Smoochiefrog said...

It's just starting honey. Just keep praying and God willing what you've instilled in them to this point will carry them through the onslaught of hormones and temptations to come.