Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Monday Movie Review - August Rush

Movie Review #15 - August Rush
Starring: Freddie Highmore, Keri Russell, Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Terrence Howard, Robin Williams
Rated: PG for mild violence and language
Type of Movie: Drama
Theater or DVD: DVD
Description: There’s music in the wind and sky. Can you hear it? And there’s hope. Can you feel it? The boy called August Rush can. The music mysteriously draws him, penniless and alone, to New York City in a quest to find – somehow, someway – the parents separated from him years earlier. And along the way he may also find the musical genius hidden within him. Experience the magic of this rhapsodic epic of the heart starring Freddie Highmore (as August), Keri Russell, Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Terrence Howard and Robin Williams. "I believe in music the way some people believe in fairy tales," August says. Open your heart and listen. You’ll believe, too.
OK for Kids? 16 and older perhaps
Opinion: I liked this movie, but it is a modern day fairy tale. My problem with fairy tales is that I watched so many of them as a child/teen that when I got to be an "adult" I kind of thought that was how life is really supposed to be - and I was disappointed to find out otherwise. There are a few curse words - He**, pi**, dam*, and the Lord's name in vain. All very unnecessary - and one of the adult figures gets a bit angry towards a child. The movie starts out with premarital sex - implied - not shown. It was a light, fun tale - not realistic at all - but heart-warming just the same. The music is very enjoyable and you'll be clapping at the end. Overall, I'd say OK for you and your hubby to watch - but definetly no kids under 16.
3 stars out of 5

2 comments:

Janelle and Ella said...

I just watched this movie Sunday night. I love your Monday movie review. That's such a good idea. I thought it was a good movie, not as good as I thought it was going to be though.

Shawna said...

I liked it ok. I didn't really care for how they wrote Robin Williams' part with all the language though.

I would liked to have seen a little bit more of what happened after the final concert though. I like everything tied up neatly.:)