Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Drugs are not the answer . . . . . . . . .

Last night, HWH and I had an oh-so-deep (*smirk*) conversation about Heath Ledger's death. HWH commented that even the sports talk show he listened to on the way home from work was talking about it. That show talked about how prevalent drugs are among the "Hollywood crowd". I made the comment "Why?" I then went on to lament "Drugs are for losers who have nothing going for them." But, I know that is not the reality of this world. Drugs/alcohol are used by all sorts of people. I just don't get it though. I don't get the appeal.
But, then I thought about it some more. And I do get it. I'm not going into a lot of detail. But, in my teenage years I will say that there were times I made the wrong choices and tried substances I shouldn't have. Some more than others. It got me into trouble. And into counseling. And into God's arms. I had many issues to deal with that counseling guided me through recognizing, and God ultimately healed. For me, it took the problems and trouble to find out that it is only Christ who can heal my insides, my soul, and give me peace. With drugs/alcohol abuse, there is no peace. NO PEACE. There is no happy ending with drug/alcohol abuse. Only regret. and possibly death.
Drugs and alcohol are logical choices to those without hope. An easy choice when your focus is on yourself and not God and your family.
And I know it may sound corny or just not possible, but if you are one of those struggling with alcohol/drug abuse - trust me - I know - turn to Jesus - he really can heal you. By turning to Him, you will eventually feel better. Don't wait - you just don't know if that next hit or bottle will be your last. I almost didn't have the life I have now, and it is by God's grace I now have an awesome husband, wonderful children, peace, and hope.

3 comments:

Jill said...

That is so very true...very, very true. And it is sad, isn't it, that the people we go to watch on the big screen; those that we rely on to entertain us, are so unsettled in their own skin that they have to turn to drugs, etc. so they can cope. It's an easier path, but a hopeless one indeed.

Anonymous said...

Amen! I agree with you. Do you ever see a "movie star" or "famous" person really truly at peace? They talk about it and go about it in all different ways, whether substances as you spoke of or some crazy "religions" which are just cults anyway!

Isn't there just one Christ Follower out there that can get the word out who belongs to the "star world"? I do know one of the Baldwin brothers is and Kirk Cameron but I don't know of any others. What joy there would be if people like Britney could hear your words and turn her life around because it will only happen with God at her side.

Oops, sorry so long!!

Shawna said...

Thanks for sharing this. I don't know what I would do without God's hope.