Monday, August 25, 2008

MIA . . . .

Well, my kids all started school today - 1st grade, 5th grade, and 8th grade. They seemed equal parts of excited and disappointed that summer is over. I am the same. I dislike having to make lunches every night, trying to make it healthy and still something they will eat. I dislike having to stay on top of my 5th grader to get her homework done (she takes 2 hours to do what most can do in 20 minutes!) But, I'm glad they are learning, getting to see their friends a bit, and away from TV, computer and Wii (we have a "no electronics" rule during the school week - no electronics until Friday after school - through Sunday evening. This takes away temptation to rush through homework, devotions, and dinner.)

I haven't been around the blogosphere much this summer. I've been working hard since my Dad isn't on vacation - trying to take care of some of his duties while he takes the summer off. I've also been traveling a bit to meetings within the associations we belong to - which happen to take place at various beaches. So, we've been very busy.

Youngest wanted to play football this year. Well, I never allowed my eldest to play football - but I guess with the third, I've relaxed a bit - and given into his pleas. I did insist he'd have to play flag football this first year (he's only 6) - to learn rules, strategies, etc. - so that next year during tackle - perhaps he can avoid getting tackled too much and enjoy the game.

After the 2nd practice I asked him how he likes football. His reply, with a very serious face was: "Well, it's not exactly what I thought it would be. I thought the flags would be at each end of the field and we would be trying to get to that flag. I didn't know the flags would be moving (attached to people)! But yeah, I like it - it's just a lot of work." Too funny!

Here are some of my favorite beach photos from this summer:


My favorite moments from the summer were times when the whole family was together. It's rare HWH has time at the beach meetings to hang out with us - I make him go to all the meetings and golf while I play with the kids. But, when he does - the kids (and I) love it.

What was the highlight of your summer?

No comments: