Thursday, September 07, 2006

Legacy of Prayer

This morning I went to a PrayerForce conference, it was an awesome event. If one comes near you, I strongly encourage you to go. I bought the Bible Study "Live a Praying Life-Open Your Life to God's Power and Provision". I've always struggled with prayer - especially praying aloud. I don't want to be selfish in my prayers, and I've often struggled with what to "say" to God. I'm excited about this journey - I'll keep you updated.

At the conference Jennifer Kennedy Dean spoke about the Legacy of Prayer and how it builds up a spiritual trust fund for generations. She referenced a beautiful quote from O.Hallesby, Prayer:

Store up for yourselves treasures in heaven. - Matthew 6:20

The longer you live a life of this kind, the more answers to prayer you will experience. As white snowflakes fall quietly and thickly on a winter's day, answers to prayer will settle down on you at every step you take, even to your dying day. ...This shower of answers to prayer will continue to your dying hour. Nor will it cease then. And when you pass from beneath the shower, your dear ones will step into it. Every prayer and every sigh which you have uttered for them and their future welfare will, in God's time, descend upon them as a gentle rain of answers to prayers.
Our family has been a believing and praying family for three generations. The elders have prayed faithfully for their descendants. During my whole life I have walked in the prayers of my forebears and in the answers to these prayers. A quiet rain drips steadily upon me.

What an awesome thing to leave my children, I want them to have that knowledge and security.

No comments: